Saturday, 6 April 2013

Light Blue Wiksten Skirt


It's been a lovely sunny Saturday in Norfolk. I spent the afternoon trundling around the charity shops in Wymondham looking for an upcycling project. I've never seen so many charity shops in a small town. I found two items for about £3.50 each which I'm looking forward to up-cycling.

When we arrived home my chap suggested we take some photos as it was still sunny. So I got changed into my light blue Wiksten skirt and we went to Caistor St Edmund which has the ruins of a Roman market town. Here are the photos.





















I didn't know the camera was still rolling here!












This is my second make of the Wiksten tulip skirt. I made no major changes from my first version which is detailed here.

I used a light blue fabric from my stash but I'm not sure what it is. I lined the skirt again. My only change from my first version was to line the waistband and plackets, rather than face them with the skirt fabric (or polka dot cotton as in my first version). I still interfaced the lining for the waistband and plackets. This has produced a lighter overall result than interfacing with self-fabric or cotton.

I used a vintage seam finish on both the skirt and lining (which I also did on my first version). I like this finish but it does add time onto the make.

Anyway there's not much more to say about this skirt. I thought this would be more of a spring / summer skirt but I think it looks OK as a winter skirt with dark tights and a dark jumper. I'm looking forward to pairing it with my white Banksia top in the warmer weather (I can hope!). I'm stumped as to what other colours go with this light, duck egg kind of blue. I've tried googling but have found nothing much apart from a nude coloured cardigan which does go well. Does anyone have any other colour combination suggestions?

Happy weekend.


8 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! It really does look like a beautiful day! Creams and browns would look lovely with this color, but I bet it would also look pretty paired with different floral prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was - I don't care about the cold on days like this! Ooh I like the sound of browns and a bold floral print.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to make this!! Thanks again for sharing this pattern with me :D


    Bundana @
    http://www.bundana.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great pattern - looking forward to seeing your version!

      Delete
  3. Lovely skirt, Katy!!

    I think a red colored top, maybe a printed one at that would look lovely with that skirt as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good thought - a raspberry colour, maybe in a marine stripe

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful skirt! I think I need to hunt down my own copy! I think it would make up really well in a light wool for our impending autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! A wool skirt would be wonderful for the autumn.

      Delete